Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King And Queen
Moomba is a tradition in Melbourne and while it has changed over the years the King and Queen of Moomba is a great tradition.

In my childhood the Queen was simply a pretty girl judged totally on prettiness and that quaint old euphemism, charm but those days have thankfully changed. and today a woman is judged on merit to Queen.

This year our Queen is the multi talented star of Wicked (coming back soon, don't miss it!) and Legally Blonde for which she won the prestigious Helpman award! The wonderful LUCY DURAK!

Our Kings have been incredibly diverse.

One of the most controversial was Mickey Mouse!!

Other years we had the great Italian opera star Tito Gobbi, Graham Kennedy, Lou Richards, Ian (Molly) Meldrum, Ugly Dave Gray, Johnny Famechon, Frank Thring, Sir Robert Helpman, Rolf Harris, Con the fruiterer, Sir Doug Nichols and John Farnham.  but this year we have one of Australias most loved stars..the Iconic BERT NEWTON!

Great choice Melbourne! 

Actually Bert was King in the 70's so I think he now holds the distinction of being the only person to be king twice! And why not!

I have spent the last year or so in SE Asia. Looking forward to Moomba!

Hope it has not changed completely.

There was a rumour in the old days that Moomba was an indigenous word meaning bottom. Nice story but unfortunately just that a story and not true.

The parade is still going although its very much smaller than when I was a kid. The Moomba procession was enormous and the floats were spectacular.

Still its impressive, its simply different and I like the celebration of our diversity.

The river is where the action is so visitors don't miss the bird man rally...its really funny, silly and at times spectacular.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin Festival Queen Victoria Market 2008 glen 0 4,560 26-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Last Post: glen