Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Everyone Can Do To Improve Melbourne's Public Transport System
Hi everyone,

I'd rather drive or hail a cab than rely on Melbourne's dreaded public transport system although I am passionate about doing what I can to improve it, as I feel that people in Melbourne deserve to have the option to either get around by car or use a public transport system that's safe and reliable.

Here is a copy of a letter that I wrote in my own words that you can also send to each of the following:

Metro Trains Melbourne: http://www.metrotrains.com.au/Tools/Cust...dback.html

Metlink Melbourne: http://feedback.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/feedback.aspx

Mr Martin Pakula - Minister for Public Transport: Email address: martin.pakula@parliament.vic.gov.au

Mr Terry Mulder - Shadow Minister for Public Transport: Email address: terence.mulder@parliament.vic.gov.au

Your Local State MP

The Public Transport Ombudsman: Email address: enquiries@ptovic.com.au

Please edit the following message accordingly before sending it, so that it's relevant to your part of Melbourne. Also, feel free to edit the following message into your own wording, where you see fit.

Would love to hear feedback!

Peter.

"Dear Metro Trains Melbourne/Metlink Melbourne/Mr Martin Pakula/Mr Terry Mulder/Your Local State MP/Public Transport Ombudsman,

I have four suggestions that are vital to improving Melbourne's Train Network.

1) All train services on all lines need a minimum frequency of 30 minutes at all hours and everyday of the week. The Cranbourne Line only has a frequency of train services every 40 minutes on weekends, including during the day, which is very poor considering that the south-eastern suburbs are a growing part of Melbourne and that in about 40 minutes, motorists can drive from Cranbourne North to the City, off peak. A minimum 30 minute frequency all hours of everyday is an absolute necessity on all of Melbourne's train lines to accommodate for increased patronage and to encourage heavier patronage. Besides, Nightrider services provide half-hourly services throughout the early morning hours of Saturday and Sunday. Why can't train services run every 30 minutes during the scheduled hours of the train network?

2) Every second train service on all lines, no matter the time of day and day of the week,needs to be either an express service or limited express service. A non express service from Cranbourne Station to Flinders Street Station is longer than 55 minutes, which is very poor considering that the south-eastern suburbs are a growing part of Melbourne and that in about 40 minutes, motorists can drive from Cranbourne North to the City, off peak. Having an express service or limited express service for at least every second train service on all lines, no matter the time of day and day of the week is an absolute necessity on all of Melbourne's train lines to accommodate for increased patronage and to encourage heavier patronage.

3) Train services for all lines on Sunday, must begin at 7am instead of 8am. 8am is far too late for train services to start, even taking into account that it's on a Sunday. Also, there is a substantial gap between the last Sunday Morning Nightrider service and the first Sunday train service. I have literally seen Flinders Street Station relatively packed for a Sunday Morning due to commuters waiting for their first Sunday train service back home. Train services must start at 7am on Sundays to ease this gap in services and to avoid leaving commuters stranded in the city.

4) The Cranbourne Line from Dandenong Station to Cranbourne Station (eventually to Cranbourne East and beyond) must be duplicated as soon as possible to avoid delays. I have been on trains that have been left waiting at the Lynbrook Crossing Loop for several minutes, waiting for the other trains to pass. Sometimes City-bound trains have been left waiting at Cranbourne Station (past the scheduled departure time) in order to let the Cranbourne-bound train pass. Single track sections throughout Melbourne's Train Network (especially, but not limited to, the Cranbourne Line) causes frustrating and unnecessary delays which could be resolved by duplicating all of Melbourne's train lines. All lines throughout Melbourne's Train Network must have at least two lines, to accommodate for in-bound and out-bound trains. I find single track sections to be quite archaic for a train network of a metropolis of 4 million people and these unnecessary delays would certainly not help in accommodating increasing patronage and in increasing patronage.

I look forward to your reply in how Metro Trains Melbourne/Metlink Melbourne/you will fix all the issues I have addressed in this letter.

Sincerely,

Your name."
Sounds like very good points to me!!
[quote name='glen' timestamp='1289133727' post='30856']

Sounds like very good points to me!!

[/quote]

It's all going to change soon though...

Because the Liberal Party will come and save the day by winning this coming state election and deliver on public transport! It doesn't matter that their last Government (under Kennett) ruined public transport by unmanning stations and privatizing it, etc. 

NO!... they'll fix it THIS time... because their campaign ad said so, well actually no, their campaign ad just attacked the Labor Government's negligence without even pointing out their own policies and even though the Liberal Party unmanned and privatized the public transport system in the first place! 
Yes actually that reminds me you sent the letters at a (possibly) bad time since the Government is supposed to go into wind down mode before the election so probably you will get some lame letter in response like,

Quote:"thanks for your letter. we are not really doing anything right now, we have an election coming up. back soon!!!! regards, the government...."
[quote name='glen' timestamp='1289204317' post='30880']

Yes actually that reminds me you sent the letters at a (possibly) bad time since the Government is supposed to go into wind down mode before the election so probably you will get some lame letter in response like,

[/quote]

Three out of the four suggestions listed here, I actually sent about a year ago. Positive changes have happened since, notably more limited express services at non-peak times. I suggested this.

Recently I sent the final remaining suggestion which was to make every second service either express or limited express.
Well I hope you get a meaningful response. The last I time I sent a letter of complaint was when Channel 31 did not get digital sprectrum for digital TV.
Well they have to recruit the guards first don't they?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Do You Think Of Public Transport In Melbourne? Akira Fukushima 3 9,871 25-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Last Post: franfran
  Wifi Access On Melbourne Public Transport? antinwo89 9 14,131 18-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Last Post: TheExpert
  Transport In Melbourne Mel-Visitor 4 11,404 18-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Last Post: TheExpert