Melbourne Chat
Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Printable Version

+- Melbourne Chat (http://www.melbournechat.org)
+-- Forum: Melb Chat (http://www.melbournechat.org/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Random Chat (http://www.melbournechat.org/forum-4.html)
+---- Forum: Current Affairs / Other Stuff... (http://www.melbournechat.org/forum-12.html)
+---- Thread: Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy (/thread-183.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 07-02-2020

Quote: 

Why are you telling me all this ? Or who are these people you speak of ? Double standards much ? LOL

Unkind? Did you read the post I was responding to? The one where two "yanks" should be "lambasted" for their point of view ?

I've already stated M Court is entitled to her view. Why aren't people who disagree entitled to theirs ?

Non acceptance of democratically elected leaders?

Last time I checked it was the right who took down 3 leaders in 2 terms! Triple J gate!

Agreed! The right have demonstrated this ad nauseam. If they didn't this conversation wouldn't have started.

​Remember the pie guy ?

That would be OK if that's what they were doing - but it wasn't was it - I mean - at all!!!

They were not saying "we think Gay is great" or however they may want to articulate their  view - but no, that was not their intent at all, they wanted to denigrate a fine ex tennis player by taking her name off a memorial to her acheivements.

I cannot call that expressing a view, I call it for what it really is - a desire to inflict pain.

I have not heard that M Court made any personal attacks on Navratilova or that opinionated bad boy MacInroe.

Excellent example of what I was trying to point out to you really.

I imagine that if you can see it that way you will probably agree with me?

Quote:Tony Abbott was the worst PM Smile

Worst ex PM honours must be shared equally by Rudd and Turnbull - in recent times that is.

Best ex PM honours go to Gillard and Abbott for understanding that when it's over - it's over - and for demonstrating class in refraining from criticism of their successors no matter how poorly they were treated by them .

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-state-union-address-2/

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">Over the last two years, my administration has moved with urgency and historic speed to confront problems neglected by leaders of both parties over many decades.

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">In just over two years since the election, we have launched an unprecedented economic boom — a boom that has rarely been seen before.  There’s been nothing like it.  We have created 5.3 million new jobs and, importantly, added 600,000 new manufacturing jobs — something which almost everyone said was impossible to do.  But the fact is, we are just getting started.  (Applause.)

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">Wages are rising at the fastest pace in decades and growing for blue-collar workers, who I promised to fight for.  They’re growing faster than anyone else thought possible.  Nearly 5 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps.  (Applause.)  The U.S. economy is growing almost twice as fast today as when I took office.  And we are considered, far and away, the hottest economy anywhere in the world.  Not even close.  (Applause.)

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">Unemployment has reached the lowest rate in over half a century.  (Applause.)  African American, Hispanic American, and Asian American unemployment have all reached their lowest levels ever recorded.  (Applause.)  Unemployment for Americans with disabilities has also reached an all-time low.  (Applause.)  More people are working now than at any time in the history of our country — 157 million people at work.  (Applause.)

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">We passed a massive tax cut for working families and doubled the child tax credit. 

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">On Friday, it was announced that we added another 304,000 jobs last month alone — almost double the number expected.  (Applause.)  An economic miracle is taking place in the United States, and the only thing that can stop it are foolish wars, politics, or ridiculous partisan investigations.  (Applause.)

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">We are also getting other nations to pay their fair share.  (Applause.)  Finally.  Finally.  For years, the United States was being treated very unfairly by friends of ours, members of NATO.  But now we have secured, over the last couple of years, more than $100 billion of increase in defense spending from our NATO Allies.  (Applause.)  They said it couldn’t be done."

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">I read pages of left crap about Nancy Pelosi tearing up her copy of the Presidents speech in our national media - but virtually nothing about what Trump actually said, that is poor reporting - in fact it's not reporting at all - it's commentary with a left bias --

<p style="color:rgb(41,51,64);font-family:'Source Sans Pro', '-apple-system', BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, 'Fira Sans', 'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', sans-serif;font-size:18px;">That's Ok for folks who don't want to think for themselves I suppose!!

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 07-02-2020

Quote:That would be OK if that's what they were doing - but it wasn't was it - I mean - at all!!!

They were not saying "we think Gay is great" or however they may want to articulate their  view - but no, that was not their intent at all, they wanted to denigrate a fine ex tennis player by taking her name off a memorial to her acheivements.

I cannot call that expressing a view, I call it for what it really is - a desire to inflict pain.

I have not heard that M Court made any personal attacks on Navratilova or that opinionated bad boy MacInroe.

Excellent example of what I was trying to point out to you really.

I imagine that if you can see it that way you will probably agree with me?

Well then let me refresh your memory about what M Court said about Martina Navratilova prior to this.

"Martina Navratilova (“a great player but I’d like someone at the top who the younger players can look up to. It’s very sad for children to be exposed to homosexuality."

Now that to me is equally a desire to inflict pain as well - so Martina Navratilova's desire wasn't to inflict pain - it was to deflect it back to where it came from. After all, it's not as if Court had said "I think Straight is great" is it mate ?... If she did, this debate wouldn't exist.

So, no I can't agree with you on this at all. Because unlike others I'm seeing both sides of this debate.

There is no point in advocating for free speech unless it really is free speech - and yes... it gets nasty but that's the price you pay for what you want. Free speech will only work if treated with respect - not abused for political mileage. If Margaret Court wants to play that game, that's fine with me, as long as it doesn't stop her opponents from handing it back. 15 all.

Nothing's free in life, not even free things like speech Smile

Quote:Worst ex PM honours must be shared equally by Rudd and Turnbull - in recent times that is.

Best ex PM honours go to Gillard and Abbott for understanding that when it's over - it's over - and for demonstrating class in refraining from criticism of their successors no matter how poorly they were treated by them .

Well there you go - I take the view all four should have the freedom to say what they like Smile

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 09-02-2020

Quote: 

Well then let me refresh your memory about what M Court said about Martina Navratilova prior to this.

"Martina Navratilova (“a great player but I’d like someone at the top who the younger players can look up to. It’s very sad for children to be exposed to homosexuality."

Now that to me is equally a desire to inflict pain as well - so Martina Navratilova's desire wasn't to inflict pain - it was to deflect it back to where it came from. After all, it's not as if Court had said "I think Straight is great" is it mate ?... If she did, this debate wouldn't exist.

So, no I can't agree with you on this at all. Because unlike others I'm seeing both sides of this debate.

There is no point in advocating for free speech unless it really is free speech - and yes... it gets nasty but that's the price you pay for what you want. Free speech will only work if treated with respect - not abused for political mileage. If Margaret Court wants to play that game, that's fine with me, as long as it doesn't stop her opponents from handing it back. 15 all.

Nothing's free in life, not even free things like speech Smile

Well there you go - I take the view all four should have the freedom to say what they like Smile

Don't go claiming the balanced high ground PZ you just don't get it at all - M.Court can voice an opinion about actions made by others - It's a whole nuther thing to demand demolition of a persons standing by removing their name from memory. That is what Martina and MacInroe - foreign visitors to our country - were attempting to do and Tennis Australia made that judgement - are they all one eyed too?

And just to set it straight: free speech is free speech - pretty obvious really - even though a price must be paid to maintain it - the most obvious price currently levied is the opprobrium of PC warriors without a mind of their own.

You know the folks I mean - lazy thinking folks who derive their fast changing values from left leaning opinion makers.

Prime example Pommie Rugby League clubs attacking the rights of Folau to employment - I mean - don't tell me you think these PC blighted folks really care - at all?

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 09-02-2020

Waratahs record LOWEST ever crowd as Aussie rugby slumps further
https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super-rugby/waratahs-in-danger-of-lowest-ever-crowd-as-aussie-rugby-slumps-further/news-story/21cb694aa985c4e62ab92fc6780c25e3

Oh my goodness me Go Raelene and go soon - maybe trade in for a Folau return.

That's if we want to see high quality Rugby ever again in this country

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 09-02-2020

Quote: 

Don't go claiming the balanced high ground PZ you just don't get it at all - M.Court can voice an opinion about actions made by others - It's a whole nuther thing to demand demolition of a persons standing by removing their name from memory. That is what Martina and MacInroe - foreign visitors to our country - were attempting to do and Tennis Australia made that judgement - are they all one eyed too?

And just to set it straight: free speech is free speech - pretty obvious really - even though a price must be paid to maintain it - the most obvious price currently levied is the opprobrium of PC warriors without a mind of their own.

You know the folks I mean - lazy thinking folks who derive their fast changing values from left leaning opinion makers.

Prime example Pommie Rugby League clubs attacking the rights of Folau to employment - I mean - don't tell me you think these PC blighted folks really care - at all?

No Aloy - your post amounts to nothing more than blatant cherry picking and bashing your political opponents.

What makes it hilarious is you are actually taking the left wing PC approach to defend M.Court but then you claim she can say whatever she likes and any comeback should be condemned.

I don't seem to remember you condemning the pie guy for shoving that pie in Alan Joyce's face either.

Even more hilarious is you guys going on about "foreign visitors to our country"

Well guess what Aloy? They arrived from a country where you can say, do and shoot anything you want.

They don't have to climb the 28C Trump Wall anti defamation act that your lot on the right tried to take down.

That law was put there to protect people like M.Court Smile

You know what they say... "be careful what you wish for"

Btw... have any charges been laid ? Nup didn't think so Smile

So my balanced view stands - if someone is stupid enough to attack someone else because of their sexuality or race or colour only to then end up eating a di
ck as a result they get no sympathy from me.

And that goes for M. Court, the Pie Guy, the footballer, the Jordan Druggo - whoever.

We all have the same rights - it's the tolerance that differs. Yours obviously went up in smoke.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 09-02-2020

Quote:I for one don't want to be bombarded by all the "equality at any costs".

See it everywhere, no adds unless there's a black guy, preferably two.

Gotta have a swag of asians as well.

Cannot have a middle aged white guy unless he is the family dolt.

And as Mrs. M. Court says "It's sad to see homosexuality plastered everywhere as if it is the norm!"

The Irish prikc who runs Qantas offends me with his moralising lectures, he can fukc off as well.

That's an opinion of course, stiff shti if you/anyone is offended.

Exactly Peter. You have just demonstrated your right of free speech.

Now it's my turn.

I don't want to be bombarded by fundamentalist God Botherers who tell me I'm going to hell because I have no-religion or have sex outside of marriage or listen to the sex pistols or watch the doodleburger on youtube or don't believe the chip-in-hand-mark-of-the-devil conspiracy theories or get down on my knees and praise Trump or use the word "fu
ck" as often as you do Smile

My favourite God Botherer at work said that if I don't believe in hell I can't be offended because it's impossible.

Fine with me; I suggested that if I told him to go fu
ck himself he can't be offended because it's impossible Smile

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 10-02-2020

Quote:No Aloy - your post amounts to nothing more than blatant cherry picking and bashing your political opponents.

What makes it hilarious is you are actually taking the left wing PC approach to defend M.Court but then you claim she can say whatever she likes and any comeback should be condemned.

I don't seem to remember you condemning the pie guy for shoving that pie in Alan Joyce's face either.

Even more hilarious is you guys going on about "foreign visitors to our country"

Well guess what Aloy? They arrived from a country where you can say, do and shoot anything you want.

They don't have to climb the 28C Trump Wall anti defamation act that your lot on the right tried to take down.

That law was put there to protect people like M.Court Smile

You know what they say... "be careful what you wish for"

Btw... have any charges been laid ? Nup didn't think so Smile

So my balanced view stands - if someone is stupid enough to attack someone else because of their sexuality or race or colour only to then end up eating a di
ck as a result they get no sympathy from me.

And that goes for M. Court, the Pie Guy, the footballer, the Jordan Druggo - whoever.

We all have the same rights - it's the tolerance that differs. Yours obviously went up in smoke.

Good gracious PZ you seem to be taking all this chat personally and replying in a somewhat angry tone.

Claims of a balanced view on your part are somewhat damaged by the rest of your post - ie:

"If someone is stupid enough to attack someone else's sexuality etc" you find it unacceptable.

But it's perfectly acceptable to attack anothers religious views as those maligning M Court do and in fact you do "God botherers" you say hmmmmm time to stop digging one suggests and time to re-examine claims of unbiased views.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 10-02-2020

Quote:Good gracious PZ you seem to be taking all this chat personally and replying in a somewhat angry tone.

Claims of a balanced view on your part are somewhat damaged by the rest of your post - ie:

"If someone is stupid enough to attack someone else's sexuality etc" you find it unacceptable.

But it's perfectly acceptable to attack anothers religious views as those maligning M Court do and in fact you do "God botherers" you say hmmmmm time to stop digging one suggests and time to re-examine claims of unbiased views.

I suggest you read the post again Aloy. Misquoting seems to be part of the DNA of the right wing of late.

I didn't say I find it unacceptable if someone is stupid enough to attack someone else's sexuality etc

Stupid yes. Unacceptable? No.

But if the victim fights back, yes that's totally acceptable.

I did say M. Court is entitled to her view... how often must I repeat this ?

And no I don't attack God Botherers, they attack me for being a worldly infidel. I just tell 'em to get stuffed.

I can't believe anyone could be offended by the term God Botherer. It's a clear definition of their act.  

But then again I don't have the same rights to free speech as you lot on the right do I ?

As for being angry well that's a laugh considering the smilies I used and were absent in your post.

Pommie Rugby League clubs? PC warriors without a mind of their own.? Lazy thinking folks? Phhhtt

Care to revise your faulty evaluations ?

Actually, I think this page sums up the double standards from the right perfectly, Aloy...

I get pulled up for appearing to be angry (which I'm not) but then the poster who says "the Irish prikc who runs Qantas"  | "can fukc off" and "stiff shti if you/anyone is offended" is immune from your criticism

Go figure Smile

Quote:I like the term "God botherer".

Who or what is a God botherer?

I can't see how someone who believes in the God can bother Him.

No a God Botherer is someone who pushes their faith onto you uninvited. ie: they're bothering you.

I have a couple at work - nice people otherwise, but they try to dominate every conversation into a faith based narrative.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 10-02-2020

Quote:Actually, I think this page sums up the double standards from the right perfectly, Aloy...

I get pulled up for appearing to be angry (which I'm not) but then the poster who says "the Irish prikc who runs Qantas"  | "can fukc off" and "stiff shti if you/anyone is offended" is immune from your criticism

Go figure Smile

Nothing to do with me, please do not include me in your disagreements with others!

If  it helps I apologise for not criticising someone else my bad!!!!! :notworthy:  :notworthy:

As for calling something stupid and then somewhat imaginatively call it acceptable - well pardon me - that appeared to be the thrust of your argument.

But if your take is that stupid is acceptable then OK - I'll leave it at that.

You are demonstrating a truly unbiased view!!!! Rolleyes

Good work! :Hug:  

Unbiased - yeppers

I'll let the Sex Pistols sum it up Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvXRj0VQzN4&list=PLZeQC7DpBTwSOnyrUaX5wCluLzCGGQDUX&index=1

Yep, everyone can be a botherer if you want equality Smile

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 12-02-2020

So everyone that I do not agree with is a botherer of some kind?

Hmmmmm ban free speech - it's the only way!!

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 14-02-2020

Donald Trump sets monstrous turnout record in a warning sign for Democrats

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/donald-trump-sets-monstrous-turnout-record-in-a-warning-sign-for-democrats/news-story/1d48d87bb66a9e4dcda89797e33b0937

Oh my goodness!!

Nancy ripped up his SOtU address,

The Democrats impeached him.

And regular US citizens keep supporting him!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm it would appear that it would be more effective if the Dems were nice to him  - but hey they know better!!! :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 15-02-2020

"Winless Waratahs 'in a hole' after shocking Super Rugby start"
https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/winless-tahs-in-a-hole-skipper-simmons/28c7aafd-b307-4208-81f0-aae622d4b347

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Waratahs in a hole, Australian National Rugby team in a diabolical decline.

Maybe understandable given the whole culture and ethos of Australian Rugby is about inclusiveness - not about excellence of the sport.

We are telling players - look, even the best player in the country is dispensible, but inclusivity is our main game, and we are good at it!

Oh dear, leadership is missing, but boy are we inclusive!!!

Yeah right - lot's of things are inclusive - Coronavirus for instance!!!

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 17-02-2020

Exempt Chinese students from coronavirus travel ban, New Zealand universities urge

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/17/exempt-chinese-students-from-coronavirus-travel-ban-new-zealand-universities-urge

Oh yes the proof absolute that the institutes of higher learning (ours are are the same) are far more interested in making money - even at the expense of significant health risk to the whole population - than in the actual learning!!!!!

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 17-02-2020

Bugger it - no one gets out of here alive anyway.