Melbourne Chat
Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Printable Version

+- Melbourne Chat (http://www.melbournechat.org)
+-- Forum: Melb Chat (http://www.melbournechat.org/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Random Chat (http://www.melbournechat.org/forum-4.html)
+---- Forum: Current Affairs / Other Stuff... (http://www.melbournechat.org/forum-12.html)
+---- Thread: Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy (/thread-183.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 27-01-2017

From the article:

"Trump cited the extremist group's atrocities against Christians and others and said he wanted to do "everything within the bounds of what you're allowed to do legally.""

So, unless the US legal system embraces torture, Trump is being falsely accused by the "Trump embraces torture, faces opposition" headline.

Another fine example of anti Trump press that won't let veracity get in the way of a bad story.

The problem is that there is a law of diminishing returns for BS press stories - Credibility is eroded and eventually even fair dinkum stories are not believed.

How sad, and the fifth estate reckon they protect our rights - how about the right to honest reporting - that would be a good start.

Quote:Fresh air?

It's reporting season... state of play about the last 3 months of 2016. Trump started 1 week ago.

Discredited "progressive" government???

Dow Jones also went up under the previous administration... more than doubled. The bastards.

Unemployment went down 3%. Nothing happening there :Money Eyes:

[Image: 128px-Barack_Obama_signature.svg.png]

Some relevant data:

"The latest US unemployment figures released on Friday claimed US unemployment was only 4.7% (the widely quoted U3 unemployment measure). This figure is simply not believable when the more accurate U6 figure estimated US unemployment of 9.2% in December."

http://www.roymorgan.com/morganpoll

PS - reluctant to cite pollsters after the US election - they appear somewhat flaky.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 27-01-2017

We have the same problem here. There's real unemployment and there's surveyed unemployment.

But the trends are usually similar. I'd say in 8 years their unemployment has fallen regardless of the definitions used.

That eye catching headline has changed since I posted it. It now says "Trump believes torture works".

But either way the quote of "possible resumption of banned interrogation methods" puts their policy under scrutiny.

David Hicks was subjected to this travesty of justice and then they put a gag order on him until after the 2007 election here. Now before anyone jumps on me by asserting some kind of sympathy for a terrorist wanabee my contention is a confession of guilt can be easily obtained when it's made under torture and that's what I'm questioning here.

"What you're allowed to do legally" can mean just about anything in prisons outside of the US legal system Smile

From the article: After the September 11, 2001, attacks, President George W Bush authorised a covert program that led to dozens of detainees being held in secret locations overseas and to interrogation tactics that included sleep deprivation, slapping and slamming against walls, confinement in small boxes, prolonged isolation and even death threats. Three detainees faced waterboarding. Many developed psychological problems.

Donald Trump has already gagged the media and is now clearly stating he supports some form of torture so it appears some very dubious history is about to repeat itself.

Quote:We have the same problem here. There's real unemployment and there's surveyed unemployment.

But the trends are usually similar. I'd say in 8 years their unemployment has fallen regardless of the definitions used.

That eye catching headline has changed since I posted it. It now says "Trump believes torture works".

But either way the quote of "possible resumption of banned interrogation methods" puts their policy under scrutiny.

David Hicks was subjected to this travesty of justice and then they put a gag order on him until after the 2007 election here. Now before anyone jumps on me by asserting some kind of sympathy for a terrorist wanabee my contention is a confession of guilt can be easily obtained when it's made under torture and that's what I'm questioning here.

"What you're allowed to do legally" can mean just about anything in prisons outside of the US legal system Smile

From the article: After the September 11, 2001, attacks, President George W Bush authorised a covert program that led to dozens of detainees being held in secret locations overseas and to interrogation tactics that included sleep deprivation, slapping and slamming against walls, confinement in small boxes, prolonged isolation and even death threats. Three detainees faced waterboarding. Many developed psychological problems.

Donald Trump has already gagged the media and is now clearly stating he supports some form of torture so it appears some very dubious history is about to repeat itself.

Once again I refer to the " do "everything within the bounds of what you're allowed to do legally.""  quote

How does that square with "using banned interrogation techniques"???

I double dipped this morning.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 27-01-2017

Quote:Once again I refer to the " do "everything within the bounds of what you're allowed to do legally.""  quote

How does that square with "using banned interrogation techniques"???
Because it goes outside the square by going outside the country.

They were/want to use methods that are illegal inside the US.

Double dipping sounds dubious in this context Tongue

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 28-01-2017

Yepppers, along with Cuba and probably several others... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_detention_camp

Trump wants to reopen this thing: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2706238/trump-drafting-order-that-would-allow-cia-to-reopen-overseas-black-sites-after-saying-torture-works-in-first-presidential-interview/

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 28-01-2017

Just for the purposes of discussion:

Mrs Clinton got about 1.3m more votes than Mr Trump in the election nation wide.

In California Mrs Clinton got 3.5m more votes than Mr Trump.

Simple arithmetic says that Mr Trump was elected in the USA minus California

Mrs Clinton was elected president of California.

Before the howls are raised - clearly the US system is designed such that a popular majority cannot produce a lop sided result and points to the wisdom of the process created a long time ago.

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/results/map/president

Quote:Yepppers, along with Cuba and probably several others... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_detention_camp

Trump wants to reopen this thing: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2706238/trump-drafting-order-that-would-allow-cia-to-reopen-overseas-black-sites-after-saying-torture-works-in-first-presidential-interview/

Heh "probably " it's a weasel word!!

More data not included in the left howlybag press that some defend:

Are we seeing the demise of the democrats?  Has the electorate spoken in a convincing manner? It's not just Mr Trump is it!!

The republicans enjoy the following in the US:

1)  The Presidency.

2)  A majority of the House of Representatives.

3)  A majority of the Senate.

4)  Almost two-thirds of all the governors.

5)  Total control of the statehouses in almost two-thirds of all the states.

6)  And in the near future, Republicans will be able to add a majority of the Supreme Court.

Heh Heh you make a nothing point - does that mean you finally get it?

The US voter wanted what it got - a more unified government, which they believe will get stuff done for the people.

Only time will tell if they were mistaken. No amount of fear mongering and anti Trump rhetoric will help ordinary folks.

The Democrat truebelievers will believe because it feeds their own particular view of the world, the rest will wait and see.

Of course the true believers will not want it to work - even if it's to the nations benefit - just so their particular predjudices can be confirmed.

Someone recently said it's the job of the news media to oppose government - hello - and here I was thinking it was their job to expose the truth and inform the electorate.

Now there's a novel notion!!! :laugh:  Tongueeace:  :LMAO:  :wacky:

"Grigor Dimitrov may be hurting after his epic semi-final loss but he’s a ‘Fedal’ fan."

Great stuff here, two top elder statesmen of the sport fight through several emerging stars of tomorrow to set up a mega final.

Great tennis with a promise of more in the future.

One hopes that the champions of tomorrow are a gracious as the present "elder statesmen"

Nadal, Djoko and Federer have been excellent role models for the newer players.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 29-01-2017

Quote: 

The US voter wanted what it got - a more unified government, 
:officechair:  Hello??

List of Republicans who opposed the Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_opposed_the_Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2016

A more unified Government??????

Weasel words?  LOL

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 29-01-2017

Quote: :officechair:  Hello??

List of Republicans who opposed the Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_opposed_the_Donald_Trump_presidential_campaign,_2016

A more unified Government??????

Weasel words?  LOL

Heh heh heh, so cleaning out the swamp has real meaning for you PZ.

Imagine how surprised I was to find that you were now backing ex President Bushes position!

Gotta do better than that PZ - really my point clearly made - was that never mind the president the swing was away from democrat across the wide swathe of US politics.

I think you can recognise that.

Given such a swing the liklihood of more unity of action is greater. Of course unity does not mandate unanimity - I reckon you can recognise that - it's normal.

LOL, 200+ Republicans against their own Prez and you call it a more unified Government...

Guess what Aloy? Donald Trump was preferred by ISIS to be president.

Imagine how surprised I was to find that you were now backing their position!

I think you can counter argue better than that, but thanx for the laugh...

That was funny as f...... OK hang on... you said "never mind the president"....

Maybe you're saying it's a unified Government against the president???

That works for me.. after all... we have the same scenario here    :notworthy:

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 29-01-2017

Quote:LOL, 200+ Republicans against their own Prez and you call it a more unified Government...

Guess what Aloy? Donald Trump was preferred by ISIS to be president.

Imagine how surprised I was to find that you were now backing their position!

I think you can counter argue better than that, but thanx for the laugh...

That was funny as f...... OK hang on... you said "never mind the president"....

Maybe you're saying it's a unified Government against the president???

That works for me.. after all... we have the same scenario here    :notworthy:

Twisting words mon ami - -What ever floats your boat I guess.

Wanna cite one - just one democratic government around the world where each and every past and present member are in total agreement.

One could bring it right home and look at the two major parties - anything but solidarity is displayed.

And that is what the US voter is looking for - direction and action. Can't really fault that idea.

Quote:Twisting words mon ami - -What ever floats your boat I guess.
Oh well.... there goes your George Bush argument then I guess. You shouldn't have started this tennis racket Tongue

Quote:Wanna cite one - just one democratic government around the world where each and every past and present member are in total agreement.
Why would I bother looking into each and every past and present democratic member around the world?
I've never made that claim and it has zip to do with this discussion.
Try the democratic Labor party in Australia. It was a one man band.

Donald Trump has been the most dis-endorsed American leader in recent memory. I reckon you'll be hard pressed to find a party less unified than the Republicans leading up to an election. It would've been futile to promise a more unified Govt because everyone knew they weren't.

Quote:One could bring it right home and look at the two major parties - anything but solidarity is displayed.
I completely agree and I said the same thing in my last post.

Quote:And that is what the US voter is looking for - direction and action. Can't really fault that idea.
No we can't. But what they have right now is a divided party before an election and a divided country after the election.

Trump has already suffered his first failure at the hands of the legal system.

He ain't no Gawd Tongue

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 30-01-2017

Correct no man is God as you rightly say.

My hope is for more unity of purpose, less swamp of petty sectional interests, of more truth and less opinion in reporting.

Right now perfectly even handed people are being subjected to a one way street of anti many things that are detetrmined by a very few elitist propogandists.

Obama was a product of a strongly leftist Columbia University - that was his belief system - doesn't make him bad - it makes him a left leaning politician with limited wider experiences.

I see more hope for unity and direction to a lost and floundering US now than I have for many years.

Why people gloat about Trumps first failure eludes me - for crying out loud - some people will call anything a failure.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained - old but true.

It's probably inverse snobbery when I think about it " Oh look this bloke thinks he is better than us, isn't it great that he failed"

Truth is in Trumps case he was certainly better than his opponent and better than the media propogandists that predicted his failure.

That is demonstrated fact.

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - Aloysius - 30-01-2017

Back to the Tennis - what a great final last nite, no losers there.

Quality people playing top class sport we were treated to the best.

Thanks Roger & Rafa!

Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - POWERZONE - 31-01-2017

Young Liberals’ meeting disrupted by gatecrashers in Ku Klux Klan costumes

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/young-liberals-meeting-disrupted-by-gatecrashers-in-ku-klux-klan-costumes/news-story/763a8e28677f7ea708ebc953dbd9e455

LOL! These howlys bagger belief! :bee: