Melbourne's nicest, most helpful and most entertaining online community!!

MelbChat Safety Tips - PLEASE READ!
Photo
- - - - -

Melbourne's John So - top mayor on Earth

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 glen

glen

G'day Mate!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,854 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Forums, Computers

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

John So has been declared the world's best mayor. Mr So has beaten the mayors of Amsterdam and Harrisburg, to be voted the world's most outstanding mayor. He was the only Australian mayor to be short-listed. 677 mayors around the globe were nominated.

"I am humbly honoured and this recognition, of course, is for the City of Melbourne and for the people," he humbly explained.

"Congratulations to everyone.

"I thank the people of Melbourne for their support and of course for their trust and faith."

"A lot has changed in the past 50 years, but one thing that remains, is the friendliness and the welcoming nature of our people, and this is something that is very unique and very special," he said.

Mr So received 16,000 votes and will receive a trophy early next year.

His popularity was most apparent earlier in the year at the Commonwealth Games opening and closing ceremonies where he received louder applause than both Prince Edward and the Prime Minister of Australia.

Mr So originally came to Melbourne from Hong Kong as a teenager. He initially worked in business and teaching. He became the mayor in 2001.

#2 Kevin

Kevin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

John So has been declared the world's best mayor.

Mr So received 16,000 votes and will receive a trophy early next year.

His popularity was most apparent earlier in the year at the Commonwealth Games opening and closing ceremonies where he received louder applause than both Prince Edward and the Prime Minister of Australia.

Hi Glen I suppose Mr.So is entitled to a round of applause.

But I'm wondering who organized the contest - it is very seldom you find politicians winning popularity contests.

I'm assuming that your Mayor is an elected full time position and that he/she has to put themselves forward every so often for re-election.

Over here in Ireland it is the local council who appoint the Mayor, normally on a party basis, and they generally only stay in post for a few years. They do not receive a wage as such, only expenses, however, it can be used as a launching pad for a political career.

Kevin.

#3 glen

glen

G'day Mate!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:57 PM

hi kevin, the survey was run at a website called worldmayor.com:

http://www.worldmayor.com/

apparently 103,500 people voted during the final stages of the selection process.

to answer your question re: elections:

Until 2001, the Lord Mayor was appointed from among the members of the city council. John So is therefore Melbourne’s first directly elected mayor...

The City of Melbourne has its own electoral legislation and regulations, the City of Melbourne Act 2001
and City of Melbourne (Elections) Regulations 2001. Two elections are conducted for the City of
Melbourne. One election is for seven councillors to represent the whole municipality, which is
characterised by;
• Proportional representation;
• Candidates can register as a group, and the group may register a voting ticket; and
• Voters have the option of above or below the line voting.
The other election is for the Lord Mayor and Deputy Lord Mayor team, which is conducted by
preferential voting with a standard ballot paper.

#4 Kevin

Kevin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:13 AM

We have a great system of elections here in Ireland: It's called Vote EARLY and Vote OFTEN :) - It's called impersonation and ALL parties doe it and ALL parties blame everyone else for doing it.

Any ex-Pats reading this forum and care to comment.

Kevin

#5 glen

glen

G'day Mate!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

do you mean people vote multiple times by using false names? i guess we could potentially have the same problem here. they don't do any ID check when you vote.

#6 Carl Unger

Carl Unger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

I'm not a VIC or Melbourne person, but I have heard about your mayor.
I know he's Chinese and is pretty funny. I heard he got a bigger applause than the Queen or someone like that at the Commonwealth games.

He might be a nice and funny guy but does he do a top job?

#7 glen

glen

G'day Mate!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

i think he does an OK job. but he is not the best communicator since his english skills are pretty bad! :) he has certainly helped to raise the profile of melbourne while he has been in the job.

he was criticised recently for wasting a lot of money on some exclusive yacht race that stopped in melbourne.

and i know every poor sucker who gets a parking fine in the city feels a bit angry and might well blame it on mr so! :)

#8 Carl Unger

Carl Unger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

You're right about the publicity. I bet nobody knows who the Sydney mayor is. I don't even know who he is. :
He seems like a breath of fresh air (Mr So that be) it's nice having a different sort of politician, different from the other stereotypical politicians.

#9 glen

glen

G'day Mate!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:24 PM

yes he certainly stands out! i have no idea who the sydney mayor is.

i expect he will keep his jobs for many years to come!

cheers, glen