Melbourne's nicest, most helpful and most entertaining online community!!

MelbChat Safety Tips - PLEASE READ!
Photo

Great Barrier Reef.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sabona

sabona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi ,
I'm a new "melbournite" (1 year and counting ) and i was thinking of doing some travelling during the christmas and new year break. Since I am a student here , i have a week off during that time and i was thinking of going to see the great barrier reef as i read about that when i was in high school. I didnt know the reef covers such a wide area. I was wondering any one could give me suggestions as to which places i should go and also which ones would be cheaper to go to as i am still on a student budget (Sucks that the only break i have is when the ticket prices are sky high ).
Thanks in advance for you advice/suggestion if any.
Kay.

#2 Haroldnernedo

Haroldnernedo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:51 AM

I agree with that fear, Caltuna....but its still worth trying. I will keep trying until theres nothing left to save. We cant afford to lose the Great Barrier Reef

#3 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

Hi Harold . . .
The GBReef must be saved.
I don't like the prospect of either drilling on or near it.
Or even the prospect of a deep water harbour nearby.
An oil spill nearby would devastate the reel beyond repair. (At least in our lifetime).

#4 hellohello

hellohello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

If you're a student you could just grab a snorkel and head down to the bay. Specifically around MT Martha is pretty good for snorkelling. It's no great barrier reef but still pretty good and a great part of Vic.