Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must Do Things In England
I am not sure what heading this belongs in.

Hard to narrow it down to ten.

Just a positive message. Here are ten things I love to do in England /Britain.  Love to know yours.

1. West End show...Seen so many great shows over the years.

2. When I go to Windsor I avoid crowds at the castle (although it must be seen once) but for me its a river cruise sipping my Pimms No.!. (or a couple)

3. Blackpool.. You might cringe but I love the tacky quirky place. I think Blackpool tower is fascinating. Yes very touristy but fun. Best of all is on a cold day love seeing the old ladies on their deck chairs all rugged up. Only in Britain! lol

4. York ...been there a few times yet never tire of it. A must!

5. Pork pies they are awful here but the English ones a glorious. Not very healthy but so much nicer than they are here. The reason is because they have crisp buttery pastry. Not the sad soggy over priced ones you get here.

6. I am a tea drinker and great fun to do high tea at Harrods. Expensive but if you have never done it try it.

7. Hyde Park ..great fun to hear the speakers.

8.The galleries and museums are awesome but theres so much to see. I love them all but I still have not seen everything. Cant really choose a favourite.

9.Berwick upon Tweed oh how I love to walk the walls. Often very quiet..great military museum too.

10. Brighton ..not for all but its a gay mecca. If thats not your scene you must see the Brighton Pavillion. Beautiful ridiculous quirky wonderful. Oh and the fish and chips are as good as they say they are. Not a fan of the mushy peas or pickled eggs though. The pier is full of eccentrics..love it.

You dont need a car in England, I must plug the Yorkshire country side and the Lakes...do a day tour.
Postman's Park. A small park near St. Pauls. Has many plaques describing the heroic and very sad tales of London children during the late 1800s. A must see.

Kenwood House in Hampstead Heath, houses a small but supurb art collection including a fabulous Veermer.

Wow ok next trip.

Only disappointment was Madame Tussauds wax works. Long long queues over crowded expensive and not as good as I was hoping.

Harrods high tea ridiculously expensive but must be done once.

Biggest disappointment was trying Haggis. I am a foodie but I found it awful.

Bugger I thought I was well travelled lol. Great list thanks Peter.

I have heard regardless of ones views on EU accom is cheaper in London at the moment.

We always ,make a point of getting a cheap hotel - close to the Underground - after that London is your Oyster!!!

The Imperial War Museum is good to revisit the sacrifice that folks made - for us!

A walk from St Pauls back toward the centre is really worthwhile.

A ride on top of a double decker along the Kings road is most instructive - how to their emergency services folks cope?

Just watching Londoners is absolutely fantastic.

Avoid what they call beer!

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Years ago I saw a Mary Rose exhibition and it was great. But this looks spectacular. I am a Titanic buff. I have books galore.  Funny why do I have this fascination.

Back to England Whitby is a brilliant place.

Its been well documented . Still its hard to dicipher fact from fiction.

On the other hand on the day of the maiden voyage a fire broke out in one boiler room, albeit quite common, near the coal burners and this was still burning right up to end. An omen? I must stress this often happened.

If the Titanic had sailed straight into the berg she would have most likely survived. 

This is a dangerous topic Peter...I am a fanatic. I even own a tiny piece of credited and licensed piece of Titanic coal!!

Did you know one of the funnels chimneys of the Titanic was actally fake?

You must  "Mind the Gap" on the underground.

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:Years ago I saw a Mary Rose exhibition and it was great. But this looks spectacular. I am a Titanic buff. I have books galore.  Funny why do I have this fascination.

Back to England Whitby is a brilliant place.

Home of Captain James Cook - an important historical figure for us.
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
The one thing that I never do in England any more is stay at B and Bs. I know some have had good luck but I hate the. Over piced and they con you. The tarrif price is PER PERSON not for the room!

That was too negative.

See the Yorkshie moors and the lakes district. GLORIOUS.

Thee Cotswolds area not far out of London is a fabulous area to checkout.

Coventry Cathedral built alongside the old one smashed during WW2 is an amazing building.

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:Hi GG.

I don't have ten, so here are a few remarks.

Love Windsor to visit, but hard to get around.

High Tea at Harrods! Real expensive but OK to do once.

Postman's Park. A small park near St. Pauls. Has many plaques describing the heroic and very sad tales of London children during the late 1800s. A must see.

Kenwood House in Hampstead Heath, houses a small but supurb art collection including a fabulous Veermer.

True one does not need a car in England, but transport is quite expensive. The Oyster card works a treat, guys just wave their wallet near the receiver and off without stopping.

GG.

England is not perfct, so it will have negative aspects.
For me I always thought the Oyster card was ripping me off!

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Good thing about the UK is everything is close by!!

Of all, I appreciated Scotland the most.

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Democracy Means Different Things To Different People Aloysius 6 928 10-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Aloysius