Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australia Tolerant!
Er sorry I cannot spell Australia!

At last some sense in the race debate, just which are the racist countries?

Of course it is racist of me to print this message!

Read the whole thing at the link below.

This is an extract:

Britain is one of the most racially tolerant countries on the planet, a survey claims.

The global social attitudes study claims that the most racially intolerant populations are all in the developing world, with Bangladesh, Jordan and India in the top five.

By contrast, the study of 80 countries over three decades found Western countries were most accepting of other cultures with Britain, the U.S., Canada and Australia more tolerant than anywhere else.

Alas the link seems to be too long and will not fit in the post.

However the piece can be found in the English "Mail on line" for today Friday 17 May

Another try:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/

The link won't work on my iPad, it may work on a PC but is probably now the wrong day?

Sorry but I blame Glen!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...e-you.html
I find Australians generally are tolerant although there are always bad eggs.

The "fair go" attitude of Australians is prevalent although we are guilty of lets say subtle prejudice but that soon goes with each generation. AS the nasty old bigots, racists and homophobes, climate change skeptics hurry up and snuff it Australia will be a great country. I might even come back and live here but as Abbot is about to be PM I wont be back for a while. 

I left here as the Libs destroyed my job in this state but I am overseas and working. Where? Thats my secret.

hope all is well with you..

I will be popping back here. Actually have been back for a while here and went to Healesville. But will be off again. They seem to have cut out so much adult education since the Libs got in.

Several mates have gone abroad.

Nothing sadly will help the Gillard Gov .The media has won..Australia will get the Gov it deserves. The thought of Abbot in a huge majority scares me and this country will, as they often have, reflect on what the ALP has achieved. Say goodbye to the pension increases.

Also there will NEVER be another woman Prime Minister in this country.

Australians are still in the 1950's.

I have been critical; of Gillard especially her personal stand against marriage equality which I dont understand but she has been subjected to the nastiest cruelest victimization by the media and has kept her dignity.

AS for the right wing media they will give Abbot a four year honey moon. Something this Gov never got even though the Australian economy was admired all over the world.

Greed will win.

Of course Peter thats all we can ever express , an opinion.

I think any post is a matter of opinion.

Nothing wrong with a bit of conviction though.

Peter while have frequently had our tiffs lets face we both like it and only once did I really get angry and that was over Bob Brown. A man that has done so much for this country and really there are many others you could attack. What about George Pell?

Any way theres another site I went to recently which made our tiffs seem like playschool.

I personally think you are a decent bloke!

I hardly think George Bush is a good example of anything positive. He lied and sent his nation to a ridiculous unwinnable war. A war based on a toatl lie concerning weapons of mass destruction. In that war hundreds of children women innocents were murdered, an economy squandered and a country was worse off than under a dictator.

The BBC and ABC are independent but I admit they dont follow the kind of red neck bias you mysteriously applaud.

Obama was handed a country in a mess but despite that he has introduced many reforms unfortunately the Republicans block everything.

Double standrards?? Ever seen the Bolt Report???

The man is little more than vermin.

Peter I do not understand why you you keep writing IMO. Its redundant.

Of course everything any writes is an opinion in a forum.

Have you ever seen Bolt interview someone like Abbot?

Hey guys, well the world has changed yet again and now we have Kevin2013 on the way! Who would have believed it! I suspect he must have known he had the numbers when he agreed (before the media) that he would leave Parliament if he did not win the challenge.

I dont understand what you mean, I have read your post a few times. No idea what you mean.

But thats fine.

Where I live now Rudd is highly respected.

Personally I think all pollies should refuse to appear on Bolt or certainly Alan Jones.

I will leave the political posts and focus on the attractions in Melbourne.

No I have never said that. Indeed Bolt would love to interview his dear friend Abbot. Bolt is totally biased in favor of the LIbs and you know it.

Any way as I said I will let you enjoy talking to yourself.

No dont be offended.

Its a pity we cant go back and edit. I was saying that the site has lost several of the old faces and found at times it was just you and me.

I would like to see more balance in the media.

Yes you can edit a post but within the last 2 hours only. I may look to extend that. It was a spam prevention measure.

Any way back to the topic.

Regardless of what ones political leanings I thought how wonderful that we have our first Muslim member of parliament. Labor or Liberal it did not matter. He swore on the Qur'an and our Governor General remarked that this was historically significant and shows the inclusive nature of our society.

Muslims have been living here for years. Indeed the Afghan community have been here for generations. Since 1828 the Muslim community settled here and we are indebted to them for their ingenuity in opening up some of this country's most difficult terrain.

I was very pleased to see yet another celebration of our multi cultural society.

Naturally I thought how can any one object to that.

As an atheist I would take the affirmation as would any atheist. Christians have the Bible.

But no today on talk back radio I heard nonsense such as its against our constitution.

I am aware most Australians would find the nasty comments of some heart breaking. I only hope the message gets out to him and other Muslims that we view the prejudice with utter contempt.

Sadly some of these people have children. Sad very sad.

Another subject that I could guess you guys would disagree on!!!

For me, I don't know enough about the subject to say one thing or the other.

Religious freedom is not an easy subject. On the face of it, religious freedom sounds like a good thing.

However, if a particular religion told its followers to do something that would harm others, then the rest of society would probably say "no religious freedom for you!"

Often small cult-like groups are viewed as being "bad" religions where the participants are subject to poor treatment and are taken advantage of etc.

Without really knowing the ins and outs of a particular religion, it is hard to say it is good or bad.

I have heard people ringing up on talk back radio saying they have done extensive research on the topic and have formed the view that they have good reason to be fearful of the "true" intentions of this growing group in our society. Others say, don't worry... there is just a few fanatics on the edges that misinterpret the true message. And that the true message is one of peace and harmony etc so its all good.

So without me going and reading the holy books myself then I really have no idea what is true. Actually, even if I went and read them I would probably have someone tell me I have interpreted them incorrectly. I have had a quick look once and found it very hard to read (I was using an English version).

So I will just sit back and see what (if anything) happens.

All the best, Glen

Glen firstly an outstanding post.

I would say that talk back callers often say they are "well informed" which may mean they have watched a doc on foxtell.

The reality is there are extremists in ALL religions. Look at Christianity. In the states the religious right make extreme Muslims here seem like teddy bears.

The extremist Muslims represent a very tiny minority within a minority.

The scare tactics do nothing to help achieve tolerance.

Dont forget that most Muslims came here to escape extremism.

OH and may I repeat that MANY Muslims have been here longer than most migrants here. Indeed they go back several generations. Frankly I think they possibly have more of a so called right to be here than their critics.

Remember the foolish talk of Hansen? Asian boat people are taking over Australia. Crikey Vietnamese kids I used to work with (until the Libs made me and my job irrelevant) are more Aussie than anglo.

Actually there is not much difference in either of two holy books.

I think you have kids.

Learn from them. Watch a a couple of children play...they dont notice or worry about the differences.

Adults teach kids to hate.

I have read disgusting anti  Muslim comments on some sites. Free speech? No... defamation is not free speech.

There are many nice Muslim people where I live now.

Yes I have muslim friends as well and they all seem very nice!
Trust me Glen I would rather deal with Muslims than most Christians. Actually personally I dont like religion period but its a democracy.

Still there is a mistake made in this free speech notion. It does not mean we are free to vilify a race of people.

The salami slicing mentioned earlier is totally absurd.

Now to Muslims reading this please note that the views of some DO NOT represent the views of most decent Australians.