Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kevin07 Vs Kevin13
Hey guys,

Can you believe Kevin Rudd is back from the ashes? I reckon the media must think this is a gift from heaven from their point of view. There is more drama in Federal Poliutics than in Bold and the Beautiful!

I know Kevin07 is quite good at running election campaigns so I think Tony will not have it as easy as he had hoped.

Actually, given that Labor have such a strong underdog status at the moment they may well win the election. Aussies always seem to love the underdog!

I wonder whether Kevin13 can become the man he should have been in 07!

Smile

Glen I never supported the sacking of Rudd and still think he is impressive. Having said that I was extremely impressed with Julia Gillard and I think that she will be treated well by history.

I dont think he will win but I no longer think it will be as easy as some have suggested.

Abbott still has not released any impressive policies so he seems to be waiting till the last second to say anything mildly constructive.

I know this is a common tactic in politics but it is rather boring!!!

It's no wonder Abbott hasn't released policies - at the last election their policies left them around $11 billion dollars short of a picnic. The Coalition scored an own goal when they backflipped on their paid parental policy due to the above numbers not adding up.

Ironically, they're taking the same policy to this election... unchanged.

As for Kevin 7/13 - yep, success will be their reward for being anti Workchoices if they do it.

I must say it looked like Abbott developed the paid parental leave policy without any/much proper consultation and this worries me.

I am not necessarily opposed to the end result but the lack of apparent proper process is alarming. Also, the idea of getting big business to pay for it seems weird to me. Why would you just tax a few big companies to fund such an expensive policy? How does that make any sense? You might as well just have higher tax for all companies or have a tiered tax system (i.e. a profits based tax for all companies).

Abbott sounds like he is inclined to be like the "Old Rudd" and make all the decisions himself. And of course no one person can make all the decisions. It just doesn't work. Old Rudd has already proven this to be the case.

Hopefully they can both learn from the mistakes that Rudd07 made.

Cheers, Glen

Debt?

Its really a very over rated issue.

If a Gov is debt free you can bet your bottom dollar its because they have had NO progressive social policies, cut welfare to the needy and infrastructure is breaking down.

Sure you save a lot of money doing nothing.

Libs are very good at that.

As for the Libs policy on climate change green armies etc its insane.

I was never a great fan on the carbon tax favoring an emissions trading scheme. A carbon taz has had some success but I think there is a better way. Still its better than inaction. The Liberals do not have a clear policy on climate change and there are those in the Nationals who seem, despite the science, believe that there is no such thing. I am not kidding. Anyone who denies climate science is brain dead. Not an opinion...fact.

As I have mentioned previously, given that we (according to scientists) were supposed to be heading into another Ice Age, human induced global warming is not actually a bad thing. Though of course everything in moderation!
LOL I know you are joking Glen but it was a delightfully funny post. Grab Robert Hensons book Climate Change.

Actually I never liked the term global warming although thats a reality the complexities of climate make it a simplistic term.

Kevin who?

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:Kevin who?
Kevin Rudd.. :notworthy:  You know, the workaholic in charge who kept the economy greased while everywhere else is reeling.. Smile

Compared to the current mob, managed to jam the brakes on the economy while everywhere else is recovering. What's his name?  Tongueig:  :Sleepy: 

Big Grin
Dr Who's brother?

Quote:Kevin Rudd.. :notworthy:  You know, the workaholic in charge who kept the economy greased while everywhere else is reeling.. Smile

Compared to the current mob, managed to jam the brakes on the economy while everywhere else is recovering. What's his name?  Tongueig:  :Sleepy: 

Big Grin

Happily a majority of voters were not quite so charmed by by Mr Rudd - it will take more than one year to fix the mess he and that other person made.
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
We three must meet Tongue.... Be real fun  :gathering: !!!
Hi PJ, so what do you think of their budget?

Specifically the pension age lifted to 70, the GP fee, fuel tax?

And of course the need to reduce blowing out expenditure, and pay back the debt which always had to happen.

You don't need to be a pollie to understand the need for a prosperous job creating economy - happily the consumer and business sentiment appears to understand that.

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:And of course the need to reduce blowing out expenditure, and pay back the debt which always had to happen.

You don't need to be a pollie to understand the need for a prosperous job creating economy - happily the consumer and business sentiment appears to understand that.
How's doing lately? :p Bear in mind the way the ABS calculates that is kindda flawed, and the new system really isn't any better... 

KRudd did his job to save people's jobs... The results pretty much speakers for them selves - no recession, continual economic growth... People ten years down the road will write PhDs on this...

Of coz what KRUdd did is short term, as you said, eventually the debt has to be repaid.. And hence why the middle term and long term policies had to be implemented. All of them are now effectively being dismantled by this current mob..

Politics aside the government of the day must look at Australia in the short term, middle term and long term, and adjust policies to be in line with those goals....

JWH look no further the short term (next election), and Abbott is doing the same... KRudd and his team is the only government that has set clear goals on what the short term, middle term and long term.

Democracy can be a good thing, but at times it's often hijacked by self interest, self perseverance, and hubris.
Quote:How's doing lately? Tongue Bear in mind the way the ABS calculates that is kindda flawed, and the new system really isn't any better... 

KRudd did his job to save people's jobs... The results pretty much speakers for them selves - no recession, continual economic growth... People ten years down the road will write PhDs on this...

Of coz what KRUdd did is short term, as you said, eventually the debt has to be repaid.. And hence why the middle term and long term policies had to be implemented. All of them are now effectively being dismantled by this current mob..

Politics aside the government of the day must look at Australia in the short term, middle term and long term, and adjust policies to be in line with those goals....

JWH look no further the short term (next election), and Abbott is doing the same... KRudd and his team is the only government that has set clear goals on what the short term, middle term and long term.

Democracy can be a good thing, but at times it's often hijacked by self interest, self perseverance, and hubris.

And if I get your message Kevvie was not hijacked by self interest yada yada yada.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I don't think so, Pink Batts would put that notion to rest!

The current situation is that a government elected by a strong majority to fix stuff is being hindered by self interest!!

Watch the news!

Example: a new Coal mine in the Galilee basin is being painted as a disaster by self interested groups - a disaster that will bring jobs and investment, followed by income - we apparently need more disasters!!!
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:I don't think so, Pink Batts would put that notion to rest!
If you're saying the PM should be held responsible for every failure.. Tongue That would be fun. Let the commission decide I say (not sure if they have released any finding yet)...

Quote:The current situation is that a government elected by a strong majority to fix stuff is being hindered by self interest!!
That's the point I was trying to make, most governments these days are for self interest. Of the past 4 governments, KRudd is the least.

Quote:Watch the news!

Example: a new Coal mine in the Galilee basin is being painted as a disaster by self interested groups - a disaster that will bring jobs and investment, followed by income - we apparently need more disasters!!!
Again, short/medium/long goals... What's going to happen after the life of the mines? You're talking short and medium. What's the long term plans?

edit: Cool I love this place! :dance:  :wacky:

Quote:If you're saying the PM should be held responsible for every failure.. Tongue That would be fun. Let the commission decide I say (not sure if they have released any finding yet)...

That's the point I was trying to make, most governments these days are for self interest. Of the past 4 governments, KRudd is the least.

Again, short/medium/long goals... What's going to happen after the life of the mines? You're talking short and medium. What's the long term plans?

edit: Cool I love this place! :dance:  :wacky:

I'm saying that short term political goals drove Rudd to accelerate a dud scheme - the facts are in and published - and people died.

As for short term coal mines: the Central Queensland mines still in operation are about 40 years old , the Galilee  basin will last at least as long as that - and satisfies short, medium and long term goals.

This is a resource Australia is blessed with, that few can compete with - a market advantage - and there are those folks who oblect to that wealth coming into the community.

Bah, it's all humbug.
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:Bah, it's all humbug.
+1 Smile