Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nbn And All That Pigeons Come Home To Roost
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">The Abbott government's pared-back broadband plan is three times more cost effective than Labor's ambitious scheme and would leave Australians $16 billion better off, according to the first independent cost-benefit analysis of the national broadband network.

<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">In a scathing verdict on the Rudd and Gillard governments' plan to introduce fibre directly to 93 per cent of premises, the cost benefit analysis finds the policy is so expensive it would barely leave the community any better off in net terms than if broadband investment remained frozen at present levels.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/p...z3BXWlQm3c

Oh dear, a Mining Tax that didn't work, an electricity tax that lost jobs, Batts that killed people, and now the independent cost benefit analysis that The ALp refused to do has shown why they refused.

The numbers never added up - "another fine mess you've got us into Laurel Kevvie and Hardy Julia. "  With apologies to Laurel and Hardy.

Don't go looking for the taxpayers money they wasted - it's gone!
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
However the NBN isn't funded with taxpayers money Smile

If Labor's NBN effective is 0... This government's policy is 3x better... Lemme see..

3 x 0 = 0...

Hmm...... :notworthy: Talk about spin... NBN deployment in WA has effectively shut down AFAIK.. Maybe it's better over east, but over west, it's looking pretty bad.

Quote:iiNet arent very happy
iiNet? I'm not happy.. Something breaks every time it rains... Copper really isn't that bad a medium, but Telstra has really really left it to rot so as to have enough money for the dividends to main their share price..
Quote:However the NBN isn't funded with taxpayers money Smile

Ya reckon?
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:Myrantz, iiNet are unhappy cos TPG have pulled ahead.

TPG want to lay it's own Fibre into the main CBDs, thus stealing all the NBN customers.

NBN had a dud business plan. Spending zillions to put fibre into a very few places for nix return.

Anyone with any sense would go for the bulk easy connect customers. That is fibre to the commercial building via the basement and keep the copper infrastruct to the offices inside.

I will never see fibre to the home, but I may see fibre to the node.

Fibre to the node is far more cost efective.

Fibre to the home gives you an ugly box on the outside wall of your home plus two or three ugly boxes on the inside wall.

Then you gotta buy a fibre enabled modem.

If you doan like that you gotta get a tech guy to reposition everything at a cost.

Fibre to the node requires hardly any extra stuff.

Sure speeds are not as good but hey they will be heaps better than this outdated ADSL 2.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm one sensible response - aaaaaah well that's better than none!
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
I have fibre to the home in Hong Kong and Singapore.. Smile

The "box" is no bigger than a cable box.. The speed, OTOH :notworthy: ... Go the fraudband route and wait and the future of Australia will suffer for it...

I don't have to explain it to you guys, time you show it to you Smile
So go to Hong Kong or Singapore, you are not a prisoner!

Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:Ya reckon?
Yeppers. It's funded via Government bonds, not the budget.

Investors buy the bonds - that revenue is then reinvested into NBNco. More to the point; the revenue from increasing connections goes back to the Government and if the NBN is ultimately sold off, it would potentially mitigate a large portion of the net debt owed to taxpayers. That's what happened when the Government sold off Telstra years ago.

Investing in infrastructure projects will drive any economy into a growth trajectory which is obviously why the Coalition are going ahead with it - along with their own projects announced prior to the election Smile
Quote:Data will not be cheap.
Don't believe the prices quoted by the Duddsta and his dumb henchman Conroy.
Hi PJ. I had a quote recently from Optus that said my prices will be roughly the same as my current ADSL2. For that price the up/down speeds would be double what I'm currently getting. At any time I could go with something faster for around an extra $20 a month.
Quote:Yeppers. It's funded via Government bonds, not the budget.

Inverters buy the bonds - that revenue is then reinvested into NBNco. More to the point; the revenue from increasing connections goes back to the Government and if the NBN is ultimately sold off, it would potentially mitigate a large portion of the net debt owed to taxpayers. That's what happened when the Government sold off Telstra years ago.

Investing in infrastructure projects will drive any economy into a growth trajectory which is obviously why the Coalition are going ahead with it - along with their own projects announced prior to the election Smile

So the taxpayer has nothing to worry about?

So we have a way of getting money at no cost?

That's great news indeed why didn't someone think about this before?

Free money - that's fantastic!!!!

Let's do more of it and soon!!
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:So the taxpayer has nothing to worry about?
Of course not. The money is coming from investment, so it's not taxpayer's money nor is it free money.

Quote:So we have a way of getting money at no cost?
Ultimately, yes.

As you well know, if you invest in growth you make money. So I agree, we should do more of it, and we are.

Ask yourself why Joe Hockey would offer a cash payment incentive for states to privatise infrastructure?

Then ask yourself why the offer is in most cases being rejected?
Quote:Of course not. The money is coming from investment, so it's not taxpayer's money nor is it free money.

Ultimately, yes.

As you well know, if you invest in growth you make money. So I agree, we should do more of it, and we are.

Ask yourself why Joe Hockey would offer a cash payment incentive for states to privatise infrastructure?

Then ask yourself why the offer is in most cases being rejected?

So what was invested in the first place?
Aloysius

Y'all stay beautiful!!
Quote:BTW who cares if an online order takes 1/100 sec. or 1/1000 second? The goods still take days to arrive.
It can do way more than that.. Big Grin It can spur commerce... 

If roads and rails are the infrastructure of last century, fibre could be the infrastructure of this century. It really doesn't affect me with or without the NBN because I am the old generation... The younger generation in Australia may find it very hard to compete and the whole country could be screwed...
Quote:Hi Myrantz.
Are you saying that if the NBN is predomitably Fibre to the Node, not Fibre to the Home, the whole country maybe screwed in some future moment?
Yes

Quote:Rest assured most businesses WILL be Fibre to the Business.
All CBDs will be served with fibre.
All hospitals will be served with fibre.
But new business cannot be generated beacuse there's no fast broadband at home.. it'd only supporting existing models of business, not generate new ones ...

Quote:In fact (over 2 years ago) the techs were installing fibre in my suburb "high" street and I asked them if I was about to get fibre in my street. They said, "No it's going to a hospital."
So worry not about being screwed.
Fibre to the Node is fine for at least 90% of homes/people.
See above.

Wait till Abbott get's shafted, then Malcom can tell you the benefits of broadband Smile
Quote:So according to you no business is being generated! Opinion.
No "new" business.. i.e. new business models that depends on broadband speeds (e.g. video streaming), or backup services (high up link)..

You know the buzzword "cloud computing"? Basically Australia can't support those business because the speed is not that.

Yes, these are opinions, not facts... Facts are simply mass accepted opinions, that's a fact! Big Grin Big Grin
If you say so.. Smile I don't want to go into an argument that goes nowhere Tongue
Quote:So what was invested in the first place?
Money from investors investing in bonds.

Even a small portion of a default set super fund would be investing for a safe return.
Quote:Hi PZ.

The prices Optus quoted you seem a reasonable offer, that's pleasing.
And that may well be a great offer for you, I hope so.
Do they have fibre running past your home already?
Yep, got some pamphlets a few months ago saying that availability was imminent.

Quote:For me if I get a similar offer, the "connect" speed will still be way down on top ADSL2!
Maybe I will do better than you in comparison.
I mean for a similar cost I may get a 10 time increase in "connect" speed.
As a matter of fact I really expect that even with Fibre to the Node.

Alas I am in a solid Labor electorate and I will be way past my use by date when it appears.
However there is a slight chance I will see Fibre to the Node way before I would have seen Fibre to the House.

I'll take either thank you very much!
To be honest I'm not really all that fussed about it. Partly because I'm happy enough with the ADSL2 download speeds I currently get and partly because I'm worried about compatibility issues with the computer, router and other ancillaries.
Thanks PJ; I was informed elsewhere that my landline would be disconnected eventually.

Wouldn't be the first time the big log got flogged out of existence LOL!

I'll probably have to hold out for a while longer if the modem isn't free. With my current connection I somehow ended up with 3 modems which is advantageous and not one I'm ready to throw away just yet Smile