Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy
Indeed. I'm pretty sure the current employment laws would prevent a sacking for voting yes or no to any policy and as such, this protection would prevent such a clause to be stipulated in any employment contract.

The grey area is how much freedom do you have to portray a contrary or differing viewpoint afterwards.

Should we take a shortcut and reopen the 28c free speech debate instead ?

It gets even greyer when we compare this with previous controversies.

Yassmin Abdel-Magied is probably a good analogy to this... she politicised her ANZAC day speech on facebook, then after a public backlash she apologized and took it down. But it didn't stop the Govt and others from attacking her employer (the ABC) and demanding she be sacked. She was then universally disowned (by me as well as... just about everyone lol) and effectively chased out of the country as a result.

But did she violate her contract and could she have evoked a similar amount of public funding for unfair dismissal?

Probably not... because it seems her comment had crossed a line and that was the end of it.

It'll now be up to the justice dept to decide where that line is and whether Folau had crossed it or not.

My own view is.... when redrawing that line Australia has become far too politically correct and I think ScoMo would be better off putting up a freedom of speech bill rather than polarising the community with a religious construct.

.. an I'm dying for a drink after that :p

Messages In This Thread
Eye Catching Headlines What Grab Your Fancy - by POWERZONE - 02-07-2019, 08:42 AM