Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Anyone Noticed That Melbourne People Can Be Quite "standoffish"?
I know that's not a real word, but it perfectly describes the way a lot (but not all) Melbourne people are. And I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

A little more about me first: I have at least two good friends in my life so far but would like more, especially ones that are more into my interests.

I've lived in the suburbs of Melbourne for my whole life (20 years old) and I don't have a whole lot of contacts and would like more. I find it quite difficult to socialize with people in this city, as I feel I cannot relate to anyone and some of my interests not being popular amongst the majority of Australians doesn't help either. The majority of people that I come across respect me for who I am but I feel that I must constantly compromise and do pursuits such as drinking beer, watching the footy, etc. just to fit in. I have no interest in compromising to this extent socially but the level to which people are pressured to have such interests in this country to fit in is quite ridiculous.

I also feel that there's far too many bogans and yuppies in Melbourne. In some inner and middle suburbs the people are quite fake and pretentious and personally I don't feel comfortable associating with these people.

I also feel that people in Melbourne (mainly males, not being sexist either) have been quite arrogant, especially lately, whether that be shopkeepers, etc. I find it hard to associate with other guys in this city but also find it hard to socialize with females too.

People in Melbourne seem to be quite insecure and not willing to talk to strangers in social places such as bars and clubs.

I also don't feel as safe heading to the city anymore and there seems to be a more negative and fear-based vibe around now. I enjoyed going around the city just two years ago.

I had a Canadian friend who spent two months in Melbourne in 2008 and he had trouble making friends in Melbourne too, even though he had an optimistic personality and was fun to be around.

Although I like Melbourne, I believe the attitude of some of the people here is a major flaw. I'm wondering if any other Melburnians or visitors to this city have had the same experiences and if so what can I and everyone do to make friends more easily in this city?

Messages In This Thread
Has Anyone Noticed That Melbourne People Can Be Quite "standoffish"? - by nwoexposer - 26-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Im Not Living Here But Try To Find Gf&bf Here cqj98 6 3,847 15-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Last Post: cqj98
  Would Love To Meet Classic Rock & Blues Buddies Eman 11 5,652 24-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Last Post: glen