Melbourne's nicest, most helpful and most entertaining online community!!

MelbChat Safety Tips - PLEASE READ!
Photo
- - - - -

Random Comments

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#381 PZ.

PZ.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Aye but there's the rub - democracy can be understood and corrupted by pollies - and even if they don't the vast majority of the citizenry are basically intellectually lazy - they want some media personality to tell them what to think - and how.

The upshot of this slothful non- thinking is that moderation via a vast array of thinking (democracy) has been neutered by limited PC views embraced by the lazy in lieu of their very own, informed, judgement.

Oh dear how sad, never mind, these degenerate trends will bring their own - predictable consequences - in their own good time.

No argument there. Although IMO the free flow of instant information is useful for removing the myopic views of yesteryear.

People already seem to agree the system corrupts (or is corrupted by) pollies - so arguably votes can be governed by more than just personalities and facebook ?

That's in addition to the attributes that wake up people who might have been previously intellectually lazy... taxes, power security, job security, lawn order, cost of living, health, education, international relations etc.

Does economic reality finally drive sense into folks ?

Personally I think we live in a freer world than we did last century despite all the white noise that comes with it.

Happy new year :)

#382 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hi PZ.
Not too free down here in Melbourne.
Black gangs own the streets day and night.
Police are OK but told to be nicely nicely!
Riot squad backs down!!! WTF!
Police minister has not yet noticed the elephant in the room! Black gangs from Africa.
All started with that fat bitxx from NSW Christine Nixen, feminised the once was a force into a farce.
Now we have police commissioners who have not even noticed the terror happening.
Melbourne the most livable city! The most shti city.
Stay in Sydney at least the humidity won't throw rocks and bash people up for no reason.
Even the cockroaches are polite.

#383 PZ.

PZ.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:10 AM

No safer in Sydney Peter.

Why else would they block the roads with trucks?

Murders on an almost daily basis but not reported by the media anymore because to them it's boring.

I was in Melbourne last week and still find it better although those tall skinny towers in Elizabeth St are distorting the skyline a bit.

I reckon they need a 500m observation tower to redefine the centre of the city from the 250m undergrowth.

Weather wise - it beats the North every time (for me anyway).

#384 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

Ah PZ.
You have much more insight about Melbourne than I have about Sydney, so I bow to your assessment!
Glad you have a soft spot for Melbourne, I have mentioned in the long past I have a soft sopt for the Richmond/Windsor area of West Sydney.
For all the News about Sydney that we don't get, seems like Sydney could be the capitol of another country.
Remind me!
Which PM moved residence from Canberra to Sydney, Keating or Howard?
At least that removed all pretense that the gov was not Sydney centric!

#385 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

BTW
I hate the so called rivalry between cities here.
All states and every citiy has much to offer that is completely different to each.
From the "wild" North to the very "english" Tasmanian South.

#386 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

Victoria will have an election this year! (2018).
Usually I have a good feel for predicting the result.
However, presently I have no idea which party will win.
The Liberal opposition has not yet stepped up to the plate, if they remain tardy it will be too late.
That will be enough for Labor to get another term.

#387 Aloysius

Aloysius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

https://www.theguard...fter-hurricanes

Heh Heh half the media including our very own ABC are wooping up some BS book in the US about Trump - but 228000 people got a job in December!

There is a real world after all!! :Hug:

This is not only good news for the newly hired - this are is a significant bonus for the world - including our own - economy.

#388 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:43 AM

NBN.
Anyone had NBN connected recently?
Good or bad?
Still no NBN in my chosen suburb yet.
I don't know whether I will bother as I get good results using cellular and still cheap.

#389 mello yello

mello yello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts
  • Interests:MLF ( Mike Liberation Front )

MIB ( Mello in Black )
    Protecting The Universe from the scum of The Earth.

Posted 17 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

it all depends on your area Peter and whats known as node lotto - you could be lucky or unlucky but you wont know until you change over

if your ADSL is good, chances are the NBN would be as well

i used to have a constant 11-12 Mbps with my ADSL which was good enough for watch most Netflix UHD 4K - as posted frequently on the old DTV website-

have switched to NBN and get a good constant 45-48Mbps on a 20/50 plan

#390 myrantz

myrantz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:54 AM

NBN costs slightly more than ADSL in most cases. But since we have no choice, good or bad doesn't matter.

If you're happy with cellular, stick with it.

#391 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

Hi Mello.
Is your NBN fibre or cable?
Getting almost 50mbs on that plan is close to perfect.
Have you noticed fluctuations in the evening?
Should not on fibre, and maybe some on cable.
When NBN was enabled in your street did you get any pestering ISPs telling you to change from ADSL quick cos Telstra is just about to disconnect your phone line?

#392 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

Hi Myrantz.
We are about to move into a new built townhouse.
I'm told all the NBN gear will be installed. Even an old fashioned phone line!
I will see what the competing ISPs offer.
But I believe that my Telstra cellular connection is as good or better.
And heaps more flexible. Cheap enough as well. ($45 a month for 11GB spread over two SIM cards).
Perhaps that is nowhere enough for "streamers".
In some places (shopping centres near Telstra shops) I can get over 100Mbs with the inbuilt Telsra Air WiFi thingo.
When in other places like McDs of coffee shops I never bother with the local WiFi as the cellular signal hotspotted to other devices is always better.

#393 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hi Myrantz
You would have had a choice of ISPs when you were NBN'd!
Unless you live in the desert somewhere!

#394 mello yello

mello yello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

MIB ( Mello in Black )

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

Hi Mello.
Is your NBN fibre or cable?
Getting almost 50mbs on that plan is close to perfect.
Have you noticed fluctuations in the evening?
Should not on fibre, and maybe some on cable.
When NBN was enabled in your street did you get any pestering ISPs telling you to change from ADSL quick cos Telstra is just about to disconnect your phone line?

FTTN but i am close to the node - a couple of hundred metres and have a very good copper connection - touch wood

no evening fluctuations, and unlimited downloads using maybe 2 multiple devices - at least one other tele and a laptop on top of a PC -

i had a couple of pests not least of which was my own ISP trying to tell me my landline is getting disconnected soon - i referred him back to the one wrong number and multiple spam calls and told him go for it!! LoL

the going rate for a good 50/20 with unlimited downloads is $80 - some offer a Fetch box which gives you access to 30 free movies a month - Optus offer Sports for free and one Fetch TV channel - iiNET - etc

then your phone is free but tied to the internet connection

https://www.optus.co...ul17:fixed:nbn:

https://www.iinet.ne...band/nbn/plans/

those have the most added on goodies, and there are more basic plans as well

#395 radioholic

radioholic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Radio
    Family- husband and my kids....

meeting people..

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

I was wondering why I couldnt leave a comment

I hadnt signed in LOL 

#396 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

Hi Mello.

You say about 200 metres to the node.
I would have thought that, that was the maximum distance anyone would be from a node!
Yikes!
So what is your guess how far away would be the unluckiest person?

I broke my golden rule and clicked both links!
Both seem to be reasonable if you are a downloader of movies etc..
The Optus one says that to get a connection you gotta have an Optus cellular as well!.
I would think to upgrade the cellular to accomodate the extra data for streaming and not bother with NBN!

#397 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:45 PM

Hi RadioH.
I'm waiting for your comment.
Not necessary to comment about NBN.
But I still would like to hear your story.

#398 mello yello

mello yello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

MIB ( Mello in Black )

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

Hi Mello.

You say about 200 metres to the node.
I would have thought that, that was the maximum distance anyone would be from a node!
Yikes!
So what is your guess how far away would be the unluckiest person?

I broke my golden rule and clicked both links!
Both seem to be reasonable if you are a downloader of movies etc..
The Optus one says that to get a connection you gotta have an Optus cellular as well!.
I would think to upgrade the cellular to accomodate the extra data for streaming and not bother with NBN!

whatever you feel comfortable with Peter i was just showing a few extras that come with those two plans if you were that way inclined with movies etc

yes Optus now force people to have both to get a good price -

#399 mello yello

mello yello

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

MIB ( Mello in Black )

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:21 AM

I was wondering why I couldnt leave a comment

I hadnt signed in LOL 

what was the comment? :laugh:

#400 PeterJMelb

PeterJMelb

I Love Melbourne

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

New Rules for NBN

This article is from the July 24 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit http://www.heraldsun.com.au/.
Six-day net threshold

JENNIFER DUDLEY-NICHOLSON

AUSTRALIAN broadband providers could face fines of up to $10 million if customers are without internet connections for more than six days under new rules unveiled by the Australian Communications and Media Authority yesterday.

The rules, which come into force on September 21, will penalise internet companies if they fail to organise alternative connections or compensation within three days of a National Broadband Network installation , or if they fail to test the download speeds possible over the NBN’s copper connections.

The new regulations follow research from ACMA showing almost one in six households connecting to the NBN were left without service for more than a week, and close to one in 10 for more than a fortnight.

Consumer groups welcomed the rules, saying they may stop NBN users being left in “impossible” situations, but a telecommunications industry group said small internet service providers might struggle to meet the requirements.

ACMA consumer division general manager Jennifer McNeill said the new rules applied to fibre-to-the-node , building and kerb connections.

Ms McNeill said ACMA would audit service providers and use reports from the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman to ensure firms complied with the rules.

“It will be important for us to act swiftly and decisively take action where there is noncompliance so the industry understands the seriousness of the rules,” she said.

ACMA could seek penalties of up to $10 million for breaching service provider rules, or up to $250,000 for breaking industry standards.

But Communications Alliance chief executive John Stanton warned there would be “challenges” due to the September deadline.

“Small providers who may not be readily able to provide mobile interim services are also likely to face challenges in complying with aspects of the new instruments,” he said.

Australian Communications Consumer Action Network chief executive Teresa Corbin said the new rules should be heeded by all internet providers.

“We’ll be watching to make sure there is compliance and there is enforcement action taken,” she said.

“Ultimately, we want to see people do have working broadband services and they’re not left alone to negotiate that.”

jennifer.dudley@news.com.au

Copyright © 2018 The Herald Sun

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Melbourne Links