Melbourne Chat

Full Version: Melbourne's hottest day in 53 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Melbourne's hottest day in 53 years

Melbourne has just had its warmest December day for 53 years. The temperature rose to 42.1 degrees Celsius in Melbourne at 2.45pm yesterday. At the same time, bushfires were still raging across much of the state.

That made it Melbourne's hottest December day since December 20, 1953, when the temperature also hit 42.1. By 4pm (in the space of about half an hour) the temperature had cooled to 23.5 as a late change came through.

The hottest December day on record was on December 31 last year, when the mercury hit 42.9 degrees.
wow..... for a moment i thought it read that it was "53 degrees"! now that would have to be a record!

gonna be very hot tomorrow i hear.

cheers, marco
yeah it was about 40 degrees! crazy stuff!
Hope it's that warm when I come across. Can't wait - only a few months to go and I'm already planning out every day to make the most of the trip.
its starting to cool down now. we still get the odd day above 30 degrees but they will be all but gone by the end of the month. then April and May should be nice and mild ,...but then winter will set in...i am not a big fan of winter!