Melbourne Chat

Full Version: Advice On Where To Live In Eastern Melbourne
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I am a young professional emigrating from Ireland next march. I have been offered a job in Oakleigh(eastern suburb of Melbourne). I'm looking on suggestions of good areas to live close to work as I won't have a car to begin with. Would it be recomended to live closer to the CBD(again suggest areas)? If I were to do that what would the morning commute to work be like using public transport?

Thanks

Kieran
Hi there,

There is a train line running through oakleigh. How far is your work from the train station? I would just try and live anywhere along that train line. THey have lots of buses going to oakleigh as well.
Thanks for the reply glen,

My work is situated on Ferntree gully road. I looked up google maps and it says that its at least 3km walk from oakleigh train station to where my work is. One thing that strikes me with melbourne is that it is massive! A small distance on a map could take a long time to walk! Im therefore thinking initially it might be best to live around the area where I work. Do you have an idea on what that area would be like to live in? Or again any other recommendations from anyone else out there? If some nearby suburb sounds really good to live in I would definately would consider that.
Ferntree Gully Rd is not close to many train stations. The closest one is probably Clayton station I think. There would be buses running from there up to Ferntree Gully Rd I think. Living anywhere around there would be fine.

You can see all the train and bus routes here:

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/
Thanks for the reply Glen. I think to begin with ill try get accomodation within walking distance from my job. Do you have an idea if thats an expensive area to live in? Any idea on weekly rent prices there?
I think about $1500 per month in Oakleigh.